Sunday, August 1, 2010

Back to Boston.


Back from france, bye bye sunny coffe on the village place, bye bye gorgeous Ardèche, hello BBQ, tons of meat, and beer.
While I was in France, some good friends from france came to Boston to my place, and had apparently a very nice week end visiting the city. They left a bottle of this Canadian Alcohol i can't wait to try, thanks Flo&Yannick ! That's a shame I have had no time to visit Yannick in Quebec.

I went to france with no suitcase, and came back to USA with a suitcase full of great products. We have been degustating the wine, saucisson and cheese. By the way, I am pretty happy with my personal wine reserve which happened to contained a cotes du rhones that was just old enough. We celebrated the final agreement for the financing of the phd I will be working on the next three years, half of the time in France, half of the time in USA. That means that I will be spending next year in France, in the nice city of Lyon.


I feel bad about my work : the method I though was going to revolution the world of bio imaging happens to fail lamentably.... I decided to start a mini project of my own, very practical, like I like : automatic alignment of the microscope on the sample. Let me explain : biologists in the Megason lab image living fishes. Most of the times, those fishes move on the imaging stage, and when the biologist discovers that the sample is completely out of frame, he moves the whole stage, leading to complete loss of temporal homogeneity in the videos. The automatic alignment thing would prevent the biologist from doing these huge jumps that are leading to almost impossible temporal image processing. That will also hopefully greatly reduce the need for the biologist to control the sample very two hours, so that he could enjoy an almost complete night of sleep...




Otherwise, I got the visit of a very old friend this week end : Loic Maudou, who now belongs to this very restricted community of "smartest guys in France" : Ecole polytechnique, l'X. We had a very nice week end with Nicolas, Adi and Isabel. Visiting Boston.
We went to the local bowling in Fenway, and arrived early enough to play ! This was a very nice evening despite the fact that I changed the well organized plan of the girls. Unfortunately, the computer decided to help Jeje who is already a bowling superstar...


On Saturday, I guided my two tourists through Boston we enjoyed the nice weather. In the evening, we went back to Lord Hobo, to check if the cocktails were better... This is not the case, the cocktails are still terribly bad, and I guess this makes it an even funnier place. Adi says :
"
[7/25/10 10:34:35 PM] Adirane : wow...there is not....they were worst than worst...
[7/25/10 10:34:47 PM] Adirane : can u say that?
[7/25/10 10:34:49 PM] Adirane : awful, even worst
"
On sunday, we went with Jerome for buying croissants, as the french tradition requires, when the mornings are hard...



I don't know why, life normally goes through cycles, somehow : lots of great stuff happens and then, lots of bad stuff. This year, bad stuff are sticking to my a.. I don't know why... My landlord left me a letter stating that i should leave my place within 15 days because "the people on the premises are not on the lease"... I just did not get it, I did not even get to see my landlord last week end, and I have a very good relation with my roommates. I was also authorized to have friends over for a "temporary visit".
This landlord has the habit of spying on us, which is far from being legal, and also an habit of introducing in my place, which is completely illegal and very annoying (stuff from the apartment appears and disappear). Anyways, I am leaving in two months, so I answered with the help of Sean's wife (who is a lawyer), and they dropped it. This was actually kind of smart from my landlord, if I was scared enough, he would get to steal the last month that I paid in advance, the caution as well : 1000$ total, and he would also get the apartment free fro the new student year, giving him the opportunity to rent the place to arriving students.... Still, this is not moral to try that on a student, but when money is involved, certain people tend to do crazy things. So crazy considering the fact that I just have to call the city hall to ask for a sanitary inspection, that would lead my landlord to considerable expenses...

No comments:

Post a Comment