Saturday, April 17, 2010

So much great work !

I have already been working for two weeks and I must admit that I haven't seen the time going by !


I was focusing in paperwork and finding a place to live in the first days. I am now trying to transform into a geek... We have a lot of advanced coding to do and surprisingly (or not) it implies going backward in computer history : using the terminal a lot. If you wonder what the terminal is, this is simply this sort of Minitel they use in "the Matrix", but you can do much less cool stuff....

II am learning how to be efficient with the command line, use VIM etc... I found out that *nix command line was far better than windows', but this is an other geeky matter.

The environment is great for working, there are a lot of conferences and presentations by scientists from various laboratories. They mainly occur during an Harvard offered lunch, and I am trying my best to understand parts of it (no biology for me since 8th grade, and they are obviously not only speaking about mitosis and meiosis). Speaking about the environment, there is a terrible thing : the whole campus is non-smoking... Everywhere ! On the streets, behind the trees and even in this small in this tiny dark corner behind the parking lots ! it does make me reduce my cigarette consumption. Actually, I am working with two other former smokers, which now just smoke during parties... But when you struggle with your computer for 3 hours, you'd love to have a cigarette to ...relax ... ahhh...




On the evenings I have almost no time, but I try my best to see some friends. That's how we went to this dancing class with Alexander, with this very funny dance teacher calling me (of course) "french boy", so that despite my terrible dancing everyone would be nice : "you are doing so well, you guys all dance in france ?". I missed a great party yesterday, so I really have to get ready for today's !

No comments:

Post a Comment